This fully escorted tour is a group tour guaranteed for departure.
• Admire Shanghai's bright lights
• Walk on the Great Wall
• Face the Terracotta Army
• Three nights on the Yangtze
• Feel Hong Kong's vibrancy
• Explore beautiful Lantau
- Tour Guides
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
CITIES OF THE ORIENT ESCORTED TOUR PACKAGE 2016-2017 16 Days/15 Nights
Travel Dates: 11/01/2016 - 11/19/2016 03/21/2017 - 04/08/2017 04/11/2017 - 04/26/2017 05/09/2017 - 05/24/2017 05/23/2017 - 06/07/2017 09/05/2017 - 09/20/2017 09/12/2017 - 09/27/2017 10/10/2017 - 10/25/2017 10/31/2017 - 11/15/2017
• Day 1: Depart the US fly to Beijing Depart on your overnight flight from the US to Beijing, Chinas historical capital.
• Day 2: Arrive Shanghai Upon arrival in Shanghai, you are met and transferred to your hotel.
• Depending on your time of arrival the rest of the day is yours to start soaking up the local culture.
• Day 3: Imperial Beijing Heading to Beijing's symbolic heart, stroll across Tiananmen Square and into the sprawling magnificence of the Forbidden City. Entering through the Gate of Supreme Harmony, you will find a complex full of imperial riches. Explore Beijing's old hutongs by rickshaw and visit the home of a local family.
• Eat traditional Peking duck for dinner and enjoy a Chinese acrobatic show.
• Day 4: The Great Wall This morning is dedicated to China's most iconic sight - the Great Wall. Taking a walk on this incredible structure is the best way to appreciate both the wall itself and the dramatic scenery that it crosses. Visit the Jade Museum then savour an afternoon in the idyllic landscapes of the Summer Palace as you wander through traditional Chinese gardens and see the exquisite architecture.
• Day 5: Temple of Heaven Soak up the harmonious ambience of the Temple of Heaven, an orderly oasis in a bustling urban landscape, and wander in the park where you can watch, or participate in, a dance class. Transfer to the airport and fly to the ancient city of Xian. This evening enjoy a delicious feast of traditional Shui Jiao dumplings before a performance of Tang Dynasty dancing.
• Day 6: Terracotta Warriors After their fortuitous discovery in the 1970s, the Terracotta Army of China's first Emperor Qin Shi Huang has intrigued visitors ever since. Spend the morning viewing the enigmatic ranks of life-sized warriors and visit the workshop where the warriors are intricately recreated. Stroll along the beautifully preserved 14thcentury city walls that enclose Xian's old town.
• Day 7: Fly to Chengdu A relaxed morning includes time to walk through the atmospheric alleys of the Muslim Quarter, which are lined with Islamic food stalls. Later, fly to Chengdu, home of the Giant Panda.
• Day 8: Giant Pandas A visit to Chengdu's famous Panda Conservation Centre allows you to see and learn about China's celebrated bears up close in surroundings that mirror their natural habitat. Visit the Shu Brocade Museum and take a stroll through People's Park to see Matchmaker's Corner, where parents search for suitors for their children, and enjoy the lively atmosphere of the Wide and Narrow Alleys.
• Day 9: Old Ciqikou Drive from Chengdu to Chongqing and spend some time wandering the picturesque old alleyways of Ciqikou.
• Later, board your Yangtze cruise vessel and set sail.
• Day 10: Yangtze River Cruise Visit the site of the Three Gorges Dam, the largest water conservancy project ever undertaken. Back on your cruise vessel, sail through Xiling Gorge.
• Days 11-12: Yangtze River Cruise Cruise down the Yangtze through some of China's most dramatic scenery, the Three Gorges. Over the next three days prepare for one breathtaking panorama after another. Take a side trip to the attractive Goddess or Shennong Stream and enjoy shore excursions to the Ghost City of Fengdu or Shibaozhai. A man- made marvel, you will also see the Three Gorges Dam which showcases a simply massive feat of engineering. Disembark and fly to Shanghai.
• Day 13: Explore Shanghai Shanghai is China's great metropolis, where east and west collide on streets lined with futuristic skyscrapers and 10th-century temples. Visit the Yu Garden, old town and People's Square before admiring the magnificent colonial architecture with a stroll along the Bund. Follow the age- old silk production process at the Silk Museum and take an optional trip on the superfast Maglev train. This evening view the city from the Huangpu River on a panoramic cruise and enjoy a delicious meal of traditional Shanghai cuisine.
• Day 14: Fly to Hong Kong Fly from Shanghai to Hong Kong and embark on a Hong Kong Island tour, which includes Stanley Market and Aberdeen Harbour, where you take to the water on a traditional junk boat. (B)
• Day 15: Lantau Island Take a ferry through Victoria Harbour to spend the day on the lovely island of Lantau. Explore Hong Kong's natural beauty at Cheung Sha Beach, Tai O fishing village and the Giant Buddha. A ride in the Ngong Ping 360 cable-car gives fantastic panoramas over the islands coastline. Enjoy a farewell dinner atop Victoria Peak. (B,D)
• Days 16: Fly to the US Today is at leisure until your flight home. Depending on your time of departure there is an option to tour the New Territories paying visits to Yuen Yuen Institute, Tai Mo Shan lookout, Fanling Walled Village, Luk Kong Road lookout, Bride's Pool Falls and Sam Mun Tsai fish farming zone. Transfer to the airport for your flight home. (B)
Package Minimum Stay: 15 Nights
• Yangtze River Cruise itineraries and excursions are subject to change due to water levels, river conditions and cruise line. Alternate excursions may be substituted at the discretion of the cruise company and cannot be guaranteed.
For the Hong Kong portion of your tour, daily breakfast and one dinner is included. Due to the fantastic variety of foods available, we have left some meals free for your exploration.
Included in package:
• Select meals (14 breakfasts, 11 lunches & 13 dinners)
• Sightseeing with English speak
• Visa fees for US & Canadian passport holders
Not included in package:
• Local tipping
• Personal expenditures
• Optional excursions or shows
Package inclusions are subject to change.
Available at an additional cost:
• Extend your stay a few extra days!! Short stay tours and extensions are offered at an additional cost. Please see below for the tour selection:
• Beijing Short Stay Tour 3-nights
• Guilin and Yangshuo Short Stay 3-nights
• Hong Kong Extension 3-nights (4 or 5-star available)
• Hong Kong and Macau Extension 3-nights (4 or 5-star available)
• Panda and Buddha Short Stay (Chengdu) 2-nights
• Shanghai Short Stay 2-nights
• Xian Short Stay 2-nights
• Tipping is customary in China. On Group Tours, in order to relieve customers to tip individual guides and service providers in each destination a tipping protocol has been established for each tour. Group passengers will contribute to a fund, paid at the beginning of the tour in US dollars.
• The National Escort will distribute the appropriate amounts throughout the trip to local Guides and Drivers. Amounts subject to change. If your Tour includes the Yangtze River Cruise please note Tips for this component will be extra. This Guide is not for Private or Concierge Tours. Tip cost for this tour is $100.00 per person.