• Three nights on a deluxe Yangtze cruise
• Meet the man who found the Terracotta Warriors
• Talk about Pandas with a Panda expert
• Sip champagne on the Great Wall
- Tour Guides
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
EXQUISITE CHINA ESCORTED TOUR PACKAGE 2016-2017 15 Days/14 Nights
Travel Dates: 04/07/2017 - 04/21/2017 05/19/2017 - 06/02/2017 09/01/2017 - 09/15/2017 09/15/2017 - 09/29/2017 10/06/2017 - 10/20/2017
• Days 1-2: Fly to Beijing Arrive at the airport and fly overnight to Beijing. On arrival you will be accompanied by one of the experienced escorts to the hotel.
• Day 3: Explore Imperial Beijing Begin the day like many locals with gentle exercise, as you partake in a private Tai Chi lesson with a master in the Temple of Heaven park. Cross vast Tiananmen Square to the Forbidden City, the palace which served as the home of emperors for 500 years. Your visit includes the intimate Treasure Hall, a glittering gallery showcasing the everyday trappings of royal life. Dine on Peking duck at the excellent Quanjude restaurant and enjoy an optional performance of Kung Fu. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 4: Champagne on the Great Wall From the Gobi Desert to the Bohai Sea the Great Wall stretches thousands of miles. Ride the cable car up the beautiful Mutianyu section, stopping at the ideal spot to enjoy a glass of champagne whilst admiring the views of the Wall as it snakes over craggy peaks. Return to Beijing via the Jade Museum, then take a rickshaw ride through the hutongs where you'll stop for a lesson in calligraphy with a learned scholar. Enjoy a free evening at lively Houhai Lake. (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 5: Ancient City Walls Fly to Xian. Walk on the 14th century walls for an excellent overview of the city. The rest of the afternoon is at leisure to enjoy the facilities of your hotel. This evening, enjoy an optional exuberant and colourful Tang Dynasty dance performance. (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 6: The Terracotta Warriors The Terracotta Warriors are one of the world's most famous archaeological discoveries. View the enigmatic ranks in the company of an expert who works at the site and who will put their story into context. Next we have exclusively arranged for you to meet the discoverer of the Warriors - learn about the moment they were uncovered by talking to one of the farmers who fortuitously stumbled upon them in 1974. On the way back to Xian, visit the workshop of the craftsmen who recreate Terracotta Warriors in the style of their ancient counterparts. Study with local dumpling chefs to learn the art of creating these cultural delicacies. In Xian the preparation of these bite-size morsels has been perfected into an art form with their delicate wrappers crafted to represent their filling. Tonight there is an option to take a city night tour which includes the dazzling fountain display in front of the Big Wild Goose Pagoda. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 7: Travel to Chengdu Explore Hanyangling Mausoleum and visit the restoration laboratory. The artefacts recovered here give a fascinating insight into daily life during the Western Han Dynasty. Fly to Chengdu where the evening is at leisure with the option to puzzle over a national secret at the Sichuan Opera - the facechanging art of Bian Lian. (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 8: Pandas with an Expert Visit Chengdu's Panda Centre where an expert will talk to you about the centre's work and the pandas themselves as you observe these peaceful bears. Stroll through the vibrant People's Park, one of the city's social hubs. Visit Matchmaker's Corner to see parents searching through reams of notices looking for worthy suitors for their sons and daughters before sipping tea in a traditional tea house. This evening sit down to the quintessential Sichuan dining experience hot pot. (Breakfast, lunch and Dinner included.)
• Day 9: Cruise the Yangtze River Transfer to Chongqing and make a relaxed exploration of Cikiqou, an historic district full of traditional architecture with time for your own leisurely lunch. Board your Century cruise ship. (Breakfast and dinner included.)
• Day 10: Captain's Welcome The Yangtze has played a pivotal role in the history, culture and economy of China - this voyage is the perfect way to get an insight into its importance. The first excursion will be to Shibaozhai, a hilltop pagoda beside the river. This evening the captain will host a welcome reception before a lavish dinner is served. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 11: Dramatic Yangtze Gorges Prepare for breathtaking vistas as we sweep through the Wu and Qutang gorges before sailing along the scenic Shennong Stream on a sampan to explore further. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 12: Three Gorges Dam Project The Three Gorges Dam is a massive feat of engineering that saw the century-old dreams of Chinese luminaries come to fruition. Created to harness the power of the Yangtze, it is difficult to not be awestruck as you stand on the viewing platform. Also visit the Three Gorges Dam exhibition centre.
• Disembark and fly to Shanghai. (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 13: Zhujiajiao water town China's attractive water towns exude a rustic charm. The 1,700-year-old Zhujiajiao is a typical example, boasting old stone bridges, woodpanelled houses and numerous atmospheric waterways once used to transport goods. Return to Shanghai where the afternoon is free. You might like to enjoy an acrobat show or a cruise on the Huangpu River.
• (Breakfast included.)
• Day 14: Stylish Shanghai Walk through the old town and in the Yu Garden, a classic example of traditional Chinese horticulture. Visit the colonial Bund and the Silk Museum, before admiring the collections of the Shanghai Museum. Enjoy a farewell dinner at Shunfeng and toast the end of the tour with a cocktail at Cloud 9 in Jin Mao Tower with views of the Pudong skyline.
• (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 15: Fly Shanghai to the US Transfer to the airport for your flight back to the US, arriving home the same or following day. (Breakfast included.)
Package Minimum Stay: 14 Nights
• Included in package:
• Select gourmet meals ((13 breakfasts, 10 lunches & 7 dinners)
• Sightseeing with English speaking guide
• Entrance fees for sights visited
Not included in package:
• Local tipping
• Personal expenditures
• Optional excursions or shows
Package inclusions are subject to change.
• Tipping is customary on Group Tours. In order to relieve customers to tip individual guides and service providers in each destination a tipping protocol has been established for each tour. Group passengers will contribute to a fund, paid at the beginning of the tour in US dollars. The National Escort will distribute the appropriate amounts throughout the trip to local Guides and Drivers. Amounts subject to change. This Guide is not for Private or Concierge Tours.
• Tip cost for this tour is $112.00 per person.