• Walk on the Great Wall
• Face the Terracotta Army
• Wander the Barkhor Circuit
• Explore the Potala Palace
• Watch Giant Pandas play
• Three nights on the Yangtze
- Tour Guides
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
CHINA & TIBET DISCOVERY ESCORTED TOUR PACKAGE 2016-2017 16 Days/15 Nights
Travel Dates: 04/07/2017 - 04/22/2017 05/12/2017 - 05/27/2017 05/26/2017 - 06/10/2017 09/01/2017 - 09/16/2017 09/08/2017 - 09/23/2017 09/15/2017 - 09/30/2017 10/06/2017 - 10/21/2017
• Days 1-2: Fly to Beijing Fly overnight to Beijing, Chinas historical capital. Depending on your time of arrival the rest of the day is yours to start soaking up the local culture.
• Day 3: Imperial Beijing Heading to Beijings symbolic heart, stroll across Tiananmen Square and into the sprawling magnificence of the Forbidden City. Entering through the Gate of Supreme Harmony, you will find a complex full of imperial riches. Later soak up the harmonious ambience of the Temple of Heaven, an orderly oasis in a bustling urban landscape, where you can watch, or participate in, a dance class. Sit down to a traditional dinner of Peking duck. A Chinese acrobatic show rounds off the day.
• Day 4: The Great Wall This morning is dedicated to Chinas most iconic sight the Great Wall. Taking a walk on this incredible structure is the best way to appreciate both the wall itself and the dramatic scenery that it crosses. Visit the Jade Museum then savour an afternoon in the idyllic landscapes of the Summer Palace as you wander through traditional Chinese gardens and see the exquisite architecture.
• Day 5: Muslim Quarter Fly to Xian, the ancient former capital. Visit the Muslim Quarter and enjoy a delicious feast of traditional Shui Jiao dumplings before a performance of Tang Dynasty dancing.
• Day 6: Terracotta Warriors After their fortuitous discovery in the 1970s, the Terracotta Army of Chinas first Emperor, Qin Shi Huang, has intrigued visitors ever since. Spend the morning viewing the enigmatic ranks of life-sized warriors and visit the workshop where the warriors are intricately recreated. Stroll along the beautifully preserved 14thcentury city walls that enclose Xians old town.
• Day 7: Mystical Lhasa Fly to the city of Lhasa, the heart and soul of Tibet. This afternoon is at leisure to help acclimatise to the altitude.
• Day 8: Jokhang Temple and the Barkhor Circuit Lhasa is a modern, fast-growing city, but among the narrow, old, atmospheric streets youll feel a million miles from the modern world. Wander aroundthe Barkhor Circuit to see traditionally dressed locals, stalls of religious trinkets and prostrating pilgrims. Inside the Jokhang Temple, the sacred centre of Tibetan Buddhism, the devotion is palpable s queues of people worship in the flickering light of yak butter candles. There will also be a visit to Sera Monastery, a renowned seat of Buddhist learning.
• Day 9: Potala Palace The Potala Palace is an architectural wonder towering over the city from its seat on Marpo Ri (Red Mountain). The Potala, the former winter palace of the Dalai Lama houses thousands of rooms filled with old treasures from intricate shrines to beautiful frescoes. This afternoon, explore Norbulingka, the former summer residence of the Dalai Lama, set in parkland just outside the city. Well then visit a local Tibetan arts and crafts shop. Enjoy a traditional Tibetan dinner and dance performance in the evening.
• Day 10: Jinli Street Fly to Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province, where, after a tour of Jinli Street, there will be a delicious Sichuan meal to savour.
• Day 11: Pandas A visit to Chengdus famous Panda Conservation Centre allows you to see and learn about Chinas celebrated icons up close in surroundings that mirror their natural habitat. Visit the Shu Brocade and Embroidery Museum for a close up view of the skills necessary to create these beautiful, traditional items. There will also be an opportunity to buy a unique, handmade piece. Travel to Chongqing to board your Yangtze River cruise.
• Days 12-13: Yangtze River Cruise Over the next two days prepare for one breathtaking panorama after another as you savour the spectacular scenery of the Three Gorges. Take a side trip to the attractive Goddess Stream or Shennong Stream and enjoy shore excursions to the Ghost City of Fengdu or Shibaozhai.
• Day 14: Three Gorges Dam A man-made marvel, touring the Three Gorges Dam showcases this massive feat of engineering. Disembark your cruise in Yichang, transfer to Wuhan and fly to Shanghai.
• Day 15: Discover Shanghai Shanghai is Chinas great metropolis, where east and west collide on streets lined with futuristic skyscrapers and 10th-century temples. Todays explorations include the classical Yu Garden, the Silk Museum and a stop in the old town. Admire the magnificent colonial architecture with a stroll along the historical, waterfront Bund. This evening view the city from the Huangpu River on a panoramic cruise.
• Also sample some traditional Shanghai cuisine.
• Day 16: Fly Shanghai to US Fly to the US, arriving home the same or following day.
Package Minimum Stay: 15 Nights
• Surcharges apply for after hours transfers.
• Seat-in-coach tours require a minimum of two participants.
• Pick-up is from most city hotels.
Included in package:
• Select meals (3 breakfasts and 1 lunch)
• Sightseeing with English speaking guide
• Entrance fees for sights visited
Not included in package:
• Local tipping
• Personal expenditures
• Optional excursions or shows
Package inclusions are subject to change.