• Explore the magnificence of the Forbidden City
• Wander the hallowed halls of the Potala Palace
• Three nights on a deluxe Yangtze cruise
• Enjoy magnificent views over sacred Yamdrok Lake
- Tour Guides
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
CHINA & SPIRITUAL TIBET ESCORTED TOUR PACKAGE 2017 18 Days/17 Nights
Travel Dates: 05/11/2017 - 05/28/2017 09/07/2017 - 09/24/2017 10/12/2017 - 10/29/2017
• Days 1-2: Fly to Beijing Arrive at the airport and fly overnight to Beijing. On arrival you will be accompanied by one of the experienced escorts to the hotel.
• Day 3: Explore Imperial Beijing Begin the day like many locals with gentle exercise, as you partake in a private tai chi lesson with a master in the Temple of Heaven park. Cross vast Tiananmen Square to the Forbidden City a monument to a dynastic past. Your visit includes entrance to the intimate Treasure Hall, a glittering showcase of royal life. Dine on Peking duck at the excellent Quanjude restaurant and enjoy an optional Kung Fu show. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 4: Champagne on the Great Wall From the Gobi Desert to the Bohai Sea, the Great Wall stretches thousands of miles. Ride the cable car up to the beautiful Mutianyu section, stopping at the ideal spot to enjoy a glass of champagne whilst admiring the views of the Wall as it snakes over craggy peaks. Return to Beijing via the Jade Museum, then take a rickshaw ride through the hutongs where youll stop for a lesson in calligraphy with a learned scholar. Enjoy a free evening at lively Houhai Lake.
• (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 5: Ancient City Walls Fly to Xian. Walk on the 14th century walls for an excellent overview of the city. The rest of the afternoon is at leisure whilst this evening you have the option to watch a Tang Dynasty dance performance. (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 6: The Terracotta Warriors View the enigmatic ranks of the Terracotta Warriors in the company of an expert who works at the site and who will put their story into context. Next we have exclusively arranged for you to meet the discoverer of the Warriors learn about the moment they were uncovered by talking to one of the farmers who stumbled upon them in 1974. Visit the Xian Art Ceramics and Lacquer Exhibition before returning to the city.
• Later study with local dumpling chefs to learn the art of creating these cultural delicacies, before an option to take a city night tour which includes the dazzling fountain display in front of the Big Wild Goose Pagoda. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 7: Into Tibet Transfer to the airport and fly to Tibets capital city, Lhasa. This mystical city still manages to feel a million miles from the modern world, set on a plateau with views of snow-capped mountains. Spend the rest of the day acclimatising. (Breakfast included.)
• Day 8: Sera Monastery Today we will visit one of Lhasas great three monasteries. Travel on to Sera Monastery, stopping en route to admire the exquisite artistry of Tibetan thangkas at a workshop. Sera is famous for its debating monks witness them in action in the debating courtyard. This evening is at leisure. (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 9: The Mighty Potala The Potala Palace was built as a palace for the Dalai Lamas in 1645 wander through the series of chapels, stupas and prayer halls and feel the palpable devotion of the pilgrims wholl join you. Follow the Barkhor circuit around the ancient Jokhang Temple, Tibets most sacred, before entering the yak butter-candle lit interior which has changed little in a thousand years. Later, learn how to create the traditional Tibetan delicacy momos before dinner at the Snowland restaurant. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 10: Yamdrok Lake Take a day trip out of the city to the sacred Yamdrok Lake.
• A breathtakingly spectacular sight, the lake's bright blue waters are backed by the distant, snowcapped peaks of the Himalayan range. On return to Lhasa, pay a visit to a local family to learn more about the daily life, culture and heritage of the Tibetan people. (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 11: Fly to Chengdu Transfer to the airport and fly to Chengdu. This afternoon is at leisure. (Breakfast and lunch inlcuded.)
• Day 12: Pandas with an Expert Visit Chengdus Panda Centre where an expert will talk to you about the centres work and the pandas themselves as you observe these peaceful bears. Stroll through the vibrant Peoples Park, one of the citys social hubs. Visit Match- maker's Corner to see parents searching through reams of notices for worthy suitors for their sons and daughters before sipping tea in a traditional tea house. Enjoy a hot pot dinner before taking the option to puzzle over a national secret at the Sichuan Opera the facechanging art of Bian Lian. (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 13: Cruise the Yangtze River Transfer to Chongqing and make a relaxed exploration of Cikiqou, a historic district full of traditional architecture with time for your own leisurely lunch. Board your Century cruise ship. (Breakfast and dinner included.)
• Day 14: Captains Welcome The Yangtze has played a pivotal role in the history, culture and economy of China this voyage is the perfect way to get an insight into its importance. The first excursion will be to Shibaozhai, a hilltop pagoda beside the river.
• This evening the captain will host a welcome reception before a lavish dinner is served. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 15: Dramatic Yangtze Gorges Prepare for breathtaking vistas as we sweep through the Wu and Qutang gorges before heading up the scenic Shennong Stream on a sampan to further explore. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner inlcuded.)
• Day 16: Three Gorges Dam Project The Three Gorges Dam is a massive feat of engineering that saw the century-old dreams of Chinese luminaries come to fruition. Created to harness the power of the Yangtze, it is difficult to not be awestruck as you stand on the viewing platform. Also visit the Three Gorges Dam exhibition centre.
• Disembark and fly to Shanghai. (Breakfast and lunch included.)
• Day 17: Stylish Shanghai Walk in the Yu Garden, a classic example of traditional Chinese horticulture. Visit the colonial Bund, the Silk Museum and further explore the Old Town, before admiring the collections of the Shanghai Museum. Enjoy a farewell dinner at Shunfeng and toast the end of the tour with a cocktail at Cloud 9 in Jin Mao Tower with views of the Pudong skyline.
• (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.)
• Day 18: Fly Shanghai to the US Transfer to the airport for your flight back home, arriving the same or following day. (Breakfast included.)
Package Minimum Stay: 17 Nights
• Included in package:
• Select gourmet meals (16 breakfasts, 13 lunches & 7 dinners)
• Sightseeing with English speaking guide
• Entrance fees for sights visited
Not included in package:
• Local tipping
• Personal expenditures
• Optional excursions or shows
Package inclusions are subject to change.