• Stand on the Great Wall
• Marvell at the Hanging Temple
• Feel peaceful on Wutai
• Face the Terracotta Army
• Experience Kung Fu
• Admire Shanghai's bright lights
- Tour Guides
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
ANCIENT CHINA ESCORTED TOUR PACKAGE 2017 18 Days/17 Nights
Travel Dates: 09/04/2017 - 09/21/2017 09/18/2017 - 10/05/2017 10/09/2017 - 10/26/2017
• Days 1-2: Fly to Beijing Arrive in Beijing, China's fascinating capital. Depending on your time of arrival the rest of the day is yours to start soaking up the local culture.
• Days 3: Imperial Beijing Heading to Beijing's symbolic heart, stroll across Tiananmen Square and into the sprawling magnificence of the Forbidden City where you will find a complex full of imperial treasures. Take a rickshaw ride through the charming hutongs and visit a local family to learn more about living in this traditional area. In the evening sit down to enjoy the local delicacy, Peking duck, followed by a performance of the Beijing Opera.
• Day 4: The Great Wall This morning is dedicated to China's most iconic sight - the Great Wall. Taking a walk on this incredible structure is the best way to appreciate its sheer magnificence. You will have an opportunity to visit a Jade Museum, where you will be able to buy a small handcrafted piece. Jade is revered throughout China, it is said to bring fortune and prosperity to those who wear it. Savour the idyllic Summer Palace as you wander through traditional Chinese gardens and see the exquisite architecture.
• Day 5: Temple of Heaven Soak up the harmonious ambience of the Temple of Heaven, an orderly oasis in a bustling urban landscape. Browse your way through Panjiayuan, Beijing's most extensive arts, crafts and antiques market.
• Day 6: Historical Datong Travel by train to Datong, watching the rural splendour of China pass by your window. Arrive in time for a local dinner in this fascinating city.
• Day 7: The Hanging Temple Grottoes carved from sandstone cliffs in the 5th and 6th centuries, Yungang Caves are replete with intricate Buddhist imagery. The 1,400-year-old, gravity-defying Hanging Temple seemingly floats 50 metres up the face of Jinxia Gorge.
• Travel on to Wutaishan.
• Day 8: Wutaishan One of China's four sacred Buddhist mountains, Wutaishan (Five Terraced Mountain) is a place of scenic magnificence.
• In Wutaishan's shadow an alpine valley shelters many important monasteries, temples and sculptures, some stretching back over 1,000 years. Continue to Taiyuan and visit the Twin Pagoda Temple dating from the Ming Dynasty.
• Day 9: Taiyuan and Pingyao Enjoy the beauty and tranquillity of Jinci Temple before travelling to the old town of Pingyao.
• Day 10: Pingyao The characterful old town of Pingyao is considered the best ancient walled town in the country. Stroll along the cobbled streets to view the old city walls and the Rishengchang Financial House Museum. There will also be time to see the Yamen, a former government building from the Qing Dynasty before taking the bullet train to the former imperial capital of Xian.
• Day 11: Terracotta Warriors After their fortuitous discovery in the 1970s, the Terracotta Army of China's first Emperor, Qin Shi Huang has intrigued visitors ever since. Spend the morning viewing the enigmatic ranks of these lifesize warriors. Visit the Xian Art Ceramics and Lacquer Exhibition, then stroll on the ancient city walls.
• This evening enjoy a delicious feast of Shui Jiao dumplings and a performance of Tang Dynasty dancing. Take an optional tour of Xian by night.
• Day 12: Discover Xian Admire the relics of the Xian Museum before visiting the Little Wild Goose Pagoda and watching a calligraphy demonstration. There will also be time to explore the atmospheric alleys of the Muslim Quarter.
• Day 13: Luoyang Board a bullet train from Xian to Luoyang, a city that was the capital for more than 13 dynasties. This afternoon visit the Longmen Grottos which house tens of thousands of age-old statues and sculptures depicting Buddha and his disciples carved from the limestone cliffs of Xiangshan and Longmenshan.
• Day 14: Shaolin Temple Travel to the famous Shaolin Temple, best known for its association with martial arts, and walk through the Pagoda Forest, a collection of 228 pagodas of various styles built from the Tang through to the Qing dynasties. Witness a Kung Fu demonstration by the famous Shaolin Monks. Continue to Zhengzhou.
• Day 15: Yellow River Learn about the river basin called 'the birthplace of Chinese civilisation' at Zhengzhou's Yellow River Museum before heading to a lookout for panoramic views over the river itself. Fly to Shanghai.
• Day 16: Cosmopolitan Shanghai Shanghai is China's great metropolis, east and west colliding on streets lined with skyscrapers and old temples. Visit the classical Yu Garden and stop at the old town before admiring the colonial architecture on the Bund. In the evening take your seats for a fascinating Chinese acrobatic show.
• Day 17: Shanghai River Cruise Wander through the Xintiandi area to admire the 1920s architectural styling, view the artefacts at the Shanghai Museum and explore the Silk Museum. This evening, view the city from the Huangpu River on a scenic cruise. Taste the delicious, traditional Shanghai cuisine for dinner.
• Day 18: Fly Shanghai to the US Fly to the US, arriving home the same or following day.
Package Minimum Stay: 17 Nights
• Included in package:
• Select meals (16 breakfasts, 15 lunches & 16 dinners)
• Sightseeing with English speaking guide
• Entrance fees for sights visited
• Visa fees for US & Canadian passport holders
Not included in package:
• Local tipping
• Personal expenditures
• Optional excursions or shows
Package inclusions are subject to change.
Available at an additional cost:
• Extend your stay a few extra days!! Short stay tours and extensions are offered at an additional cost. Please see below for the tour selection:
• Beijing Short Stay Tour 3-nights
• Guilin and Yangshuo Short Stay 3-nights
• Hong Kong Extension 3-nights (4 or 5-star available)
• Hong Kong and Macau Extension 3-nights (4 or 5-star available)
• Panda and Buddha Short Stay (Chengdu) 2-nights
• Shanghai Short Stay 2-nights
• Xian Short Stay 2-nights
• Tipping is customary in China. On Group Tours, in order to relieve customers to tip individual guides and service providers in each destination a tipping protocol has been established for each tour. Group passengers will contribute to a fund, paid at the beginning of the tour in US dollars.
• The National Escort will distribute the appropriate amounts throughout the trip to local Guides and Drivers. Amounts subject to change. If your Tour includes the Yangtze River Cruise please note, Tips for this component will be extra. This Guide is not for Private or Concierge Tours.
• Tip cost for this tour is $70.00 per person.