• See Bangkok's Grand Palace
• Cross the infamous River Kwai
• Explore historical Ayutthaya
• Meet minority hill tribes
• Discover Chiang Mai
• Cook, Thai-style
- Tour Guides
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
THAILAND HIGHLIGHTS ESCORTED TOUR PACKAGE 2016-2017 13 Days/12 Nights
Travel Dates: 11/11/2016 - 11/23/2016 02/10/2017 - 02/22/2017 11/10/2017 - 11/22/2017
• Days 1-2: Depart the US Fly to Bangkok Fly overnight to the vibrant city of Bangkok. Depending on your time of arrival the rest of the day is yours to start soaking up the local culture.
• Day 3: Bangkok This morning embark on a tour of Bangkok, visiting Wat Pho, one of Bangkok's largest temples. Board a longtail boat for a cruise along Chao Phraya River followed by a visit to the Pak Klong Talaat Flower Market. Later, walk through China- town and explore the street stalls.
• Day 4: Bridge over the River Kwai Enjoy the sights and sounds of the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market and the bizarre Railway Track Market before heading out of Bangkok to Kanchanaburi. Stop at the famous bridge before time to visit the Allied Cemetery and War Museum.
• Day 5: Explore Kanchanaburi Drive to Hellfire Pass and visit the fascinating museum before a short walk through the pass. Hop on board an old locomotive to travel along a section of the notorious Death Railway passing through the Kwai Gorge. Return to Bangkok in the afternoon. This evening enjoy a dinner accompanied by Thai classical dances.
• Day 6: Ayutthaya A scared city and former royal capital, Ayutthaya today is a crumbled kingdom that has retained its bygone splendour.
• Explore this impressive archaeological site, touring the principal sights including Bang-Pa-In, the former royal summer residence. Return to Bangkok.
• Day 7: Golden Triangle Fly to Chiang Rai, a city in Thailand's northern highlands.
• Transfer to the area known as the Golden Triangle - the point where the borders of Thailand, Laos and Burma meet and notorious for the cultivation of opium that used to take place here. Take a boat ride on the Mekong over the border into Laos and visit Don Sao Island where you can take a leisurely stroll through the local market. Return to Chiang Rai. Explore the night market this evening.
• Day 8: Mae Salong Travel to Mae Salong Mountain, an area well known for its tea plantations - you can sample some of the local brew whilst you are here. Enjoy a 'Yunnanese' lunch before meeting the Yao Tribe, taking a walk through an Akha village, and visiting a tea plantation.
• Day 9: Chiang Rai to Mae Kampong See the exquisite White Temple this morning followed by a visit to the local market to purchase fresh ingredients for dinner. Continue to the village of Mae Kampong, nestled among forested hillsides. Upon arrival we meet our host family and visit the nearby waterfall. This evening we have the opportunity to assist our hosts in preparing dinner and learning about their way of life.
• Day 10: Discover Chiang Mai Depart Mae Kampong for Chiang Mai. Visit the ancient city of Wiang Kum Kam and spend the afternoon visiting Wat Chedi Luang and Wat Phra Singh. There'll also be time to examine the wares at a handicraft village.
• Day 11: Chiang Dao Elephant Camp Spend the day at the Chiang Dao Elephant Camp where you can meet the resident pachyderms. Enjoy a relaxing float on a bamboo raft down the Ping River. The rest of your afternoon is at leisure. After dinner, you have some free time to wander through the colourful night bazaar.
• Day 12: Cooking Class Discover the secrets of traditional Thai cooking with a morning cookery class. Ascend Wat Doi Suthep, perched on top of Doi Suthep Mountain. Then browse the wares of Chiang Mai's biggest market Talat Warorot. This evening, sit down to a Thai Kantoke dinner, and be entertained by a selection of cultural performances.
• Day 13: Fly Chiang Mai to US Fly to the US, arriving home the same or following day.
Package Minimum Stay: 12 Nights
• Included in package:
• Select meals (11 breakfasts, 10 lunches & 11 dinners)
• Sightseeing with English speaking guide
• Entrance fees for sights visited
• Visa fees for US & Canadian passport holders
Not included in package:
• Local tipping
• Personal expenditures
• Optional excursions or shows
Package inclusions are subject to change.
• On Group Tours, in order to relieve customers to tip individual guides and service providers in each destination a tipping protocol has been established for each tour. Group passengers will contribute to a fund, paid at the beginning of the tour in US dollars. The National Escort will distribute the appropriate amounts throughout the trip to local Guides and Drivers. Amounts subject to change. This Guide is not for Private or Concierge Tours. Tip cost for this tour is $80.00 per person.